We will be having our Kickoff Meeting this Wednesday! We will be doing introductions, outline past and upcoming events, and talking about the Datathon!
We joined the Economics Club for a speaker event with Chip Rank, a program director at Northwestern Medicine Organization, who gave us insights on healthcare data and trends, hospital management, and jobs/internships/grad school search skills.
- Mihail Eric, a machine learning scientist at Amazon and co-founder of Confetti AI talked to us about Product Management: Taking an Idea to Deployment.
- Link to slides and video recording: https://l.messenger.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Fdrive%2Ffolders%2F13_VtLdXIdGCwiM7mNLpGBjwgKCLHh9TM%3Fusp%3Dsharing&h=AT1PipAwxyPerK1i72f_C0606QhVPbqqUOOEc_feMoz4mwJ5rRB5SPOOo0xfvrmPGFJWjVk_S5EsLEHZe-UYQGFsg90ivkgFryzTEA_3cgPCd34t63xPUJJfMsMtApIikqiVpSYONYm_N4M
- We collaborated with Transcend UW, a student org at UW-Madison on innovation and entrepreneurship for a conversational-style event with Tobin Jansenberger, one of the leaders of the Data Science and Analytics Lab at AMFAM.
- Tobin Jansenberger has experience building two software companies and gave his unique insights into both data science and entrepreneurship.
- We gave a brief introduction about the club and Dr. Tyler R. Caraza-Harter gave an interactive workshop on Docker.
- Details about the workshop: : https://tyler.caraza-harter.com/workshops/docker-s21/overview.html
- Link to recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VmYp1yFv0ciNl56R5m2XgPbnExRVPZES/view?usp=sharing
- We had Scott Adams and Aamodini Gupta from Northwestern Mutual present “How Northwestern Mutual is Using Unstructured Data to Improve the Insurance Application Experience.”
- Afterwards, someone from the University Relations team presented about Northwestern Mutual Careers/Internships with a Q&A.
- We had Professor Bret Larget, Professor of Botany and Statistics, share with us his research on reconstructing the evolutionary history of different species from DNA sequences collected.
- Professor Larget also led an interactive workshop on intro to web scraping using R.
- Dana Maltby and Sara Rodock, advisors for the Data Science major here at UW-Madison gave a workshop about the Data Science major.
- The workshop included an overview of the data science major, major requirements, and a Q&A.
Link to the recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XrCDBh9i7bt2-UeStKcPbqmfZH1_VnpF/view?usp=sharing
- We had Amy Yang, a Career & Internship Specialist for Tech/Data/Analytics at Successworks give us a workshop on how to strategically land an internship or full-time job in the data science/data analytics field.
- Link to slides: https://mcusercontent.com/99b954b4df8967cde81102863/files/86ad40a1-fb7f-4fe5-8840-21081d4afc96/Internships_Jobs_for_Tech_and_Data.pdf
- We hosted a networking event with UW Undergraduate Statistics Club and UW Economic Student Association
- There was an info session about Epsilon Data Management where a panel of recent hires shared their job experiences, and someone from the hiring team gave a recruitment overview.
- Link to the recording: https://uwmadison.box.com/s/hvu3uwih7bssyj00t98m4lpfmmiqnhlp